A noteworthy Battlefield 6 leaker has been suspended from Twitter. The leaker also had to pull his YouTube videos down as well, making many wonder if his coverage upset people at EA or DICE, leading to potential legal troubles.
After a relatively bumpy couple of entries, Battlefield fans have been awaiting a return to form. Leaks seem to indicate that the game will indeed return to a modern day setting, and bring a new level of scope and scale to the already massive franchise. The series made a name for itself from its large-scale 64-player battles with big maps, vehicles, and dynamic maps. Players can blow out walls and even topple over entire skyscrapers with enough effort, making the franchise a refreshing change of pace from more linear shooters like Call of Duty. With rumors that Battlefield 6 will up the ante with 128 players, it seems like DICE could change the FPS game again.
The leaker who has brought fans much of this information, Tom Henderson, has been suspended from Twitter (via VGC), however. The noteworthy leaker also deleted various Battlefield 6 content from his YouTube channel, indicating that the suspension was definitely related to Battlefield 6. Despite the deleted content, he stands by his reporting. “My Twitter was suspended and I received a heads up as to why, so I’ve protected myself before/if things progressed. I’m still waiting on official word from Twitter,” said Henderson on a backup Twitter account. “I standby everything I’ve stated previously, but I just needed to remove the img of the content.“
I’m seeing a lot of conspiracy theories flying around about what happened with my Twitter and the answer is simple; My Twitter was suspended and I received a heads up as to why, so I’ve protected myself before/if things progressed. I’m still waiting on official word from Twitter.
— Tom Henderson (@_Tom_Henderson_) February 21, 2021
EA has already confirmed that Battlefield 6 will be releasing later this year and has actually somewhat hinted that the leaks are true. The company noted in an earnings call earlier this month that the game will usher in a new level of scale for the series. “The game takes full advantage of the power of next-generation platforms to bring massive, immersive battles to life with more players than ever before. Featuring maps with unprecedented scale, the next edition of Battlefield takes all the destruction, player agency, vehicle and weapon combat that the franchise is known for and elevates it to another level,” said EA CFO Blake Jorgensen at the time.
This chain of events, along with Henderson’s leaks getting picked up by the media, could mean EA isn’t keen on information on the game being spoiled prior to the official reveal. It also likely means that some of, if not all, the information is legit. Battlefield 6 is scheduled to be revealed later this spring with a holiday 2021 release date.